Apple cider vinegar is also called as cider vinegar or ACV. It is a type of vinegar that is extracted from apple or cider and has a medium amber or light yellow color.
Some yeast and bacteria are added to the extracted liquid to start the first fermentation process, and the sugars are converted into alcohol.
The second one involves converting the alcohol into vinegar by the acetobacter or the acetic acid-formula. The sour taste of the vinegar is caused by malic and acetic acid.
Apple cider vinegar is used in various things such as food preservation, salad dressing, vinaigrettes, marinades, and even to add to house cleaning solutions. Undoubtedly, there are also a lot of apple cider vinegar health benefits aside from its wonderful uses.
For every 1-cup of (239g) of apple cider vinegar, here are some nutrition facts.
- Calories is 50 from 0% Fat daily value
- Sodium is 12mg
- Total carbohydrates from sugar is 1%
- Calcium 2%
- Iron 3%
Apple cider vinegar is low in sodium and saturated fat and a good source of manganese.
This vinegar does more than making food taste good and cleaning solutions for the house. Here are some exceptional benefits of apple cider vinegar.
- Apple cider vinegar weight loss plan
Apple cider vinegar benefits health and fitness enthusiasts by assisting their weight loss programs. This is because its properties enable fat loss by dissolving them into acetate through the use of its acetic acid. According to research, weight loss is achieved through the following:
- Improving the body’s metabolism. Acetic acid increases the AMPK in the body, which is an energy sensor that is responsible for regulating metabolism.
- Lowering the insulin and blood sugar levels in the body. Acetic acid can reduce the buildup of sugar in the blood by improving the liver’s muscle functions. In short, if there is less sugar in the blood, the possibility of the person to be overweight is too low.
- It can burn fat. Again, the properties present in apple cider vinegar specifically acetic acid supports the buildup of substances responsible for burning fat.
- Decreased fat storage in the body. This is the positive outcome of increased fat-burning substances in the body. It decreases the likelihood of fat being stored in the body.
- It can suppress appetite. In another research study, acetate has been proven to control appetite, which leads to the decrease of food consumption.
Recommended dosage and use for your apple cider vinegar weight loss plan:
- Use apple cider together with olive oil for your salad dressing
- It is enough to consume 2-3 doses of apple cider vinegar every day
- You can mix it with water by adding 2 spoons of apple cider vinegar.
- Helps in the treatment and elimination of bacterial infection
One of the best apple cider vinegar health benefits is in treating bacterial infections. Although there is no strong evidence about the claims, it is believed that apple cider vinegar has an effective anti-bacterial property that can help fight and treat fungal infections, ear infections, and pathogens in the body.
One of the best possible solutions to preserving your food naturally though is to use apple cider vinegar.
- Apple cider vinegar helps regulate the blood sugar levels
Health experts highly recommend the consumption of apple cider vinegar for the regulation of blood sugar levels of people suffering from diabetes. Acetic acid controls the insulin level in the body.
People who have type-2 diabetes have insulin resistance, which makes them unable to produce insulin, resulting in high blood sugar level.
This is how apple cider vinegar helps:
- Decreases blood sugar level by around 34% just by consuming 50g of white bread.
- Apple cider vinegar reduces blood glucose and promotes insulin sensitivity as proven by a scientific research.
- Consuming 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar every night results in a decrease in blood sugar level by 4%
People with diabetes and those who are experiencing symptoms should consider and take advantage of the benefits of apple cider vinegar in ensuring the stability of their blood sugar level.
- Apple cider vinegar promotes healthy cholesterol levels
Aside from the blood and insulin levels, it can also control the cholesterol level of the body. People with high cholesterol levels have a higher risk of developing heart diseases that could eventually lead to heart attack or stroke.
Apple cider vinegar has an antioxidant property called chlorogenic acid that can obstruct the oxidation of LDL cholesterol particles, which is the first stage in developing heart disease.
Of course, this is not to say that people should rely on apple cider vinegar to ensure they are free from heart diseases. One should consult with health experts and ask for proper ways of keeping cholesterol level in check.
Clinical studies that involve apple cider vinegar do not have a reliable support for humans, as of the moment. But it won’t hurt to incorporate ACV into your diet to support a healthy diet.
- Elimination of Cancer cells
When cells inside the body grow in an irrepressible manner, it leads to cancer. According to research, apple cider vinegar also helps in controlling the growth of cancer cells. Even studies conducted worldwide reveal its anti-cancer effects.
Some cancer patients believe that integrating apple cider vinegar in their daily diet and medication, greatly helped in the improvement of their conditions.
John Hopkins University even uses vinegar as a tool in pre-screening cervical cancer. This is a great alternative especially in developing countries where people cannot afford a pap smear.
The procedure includes swabbing the cervix of the patient with vinegar and looks for pre-cancer lesions using a magnifying glass. If there are pre-cancer lesions present, it is visible and appears white. The doctor then removes it.
Helps people suffering from heartburn and acid reflux
When there is too little acid in the stomach, acid reflux occurs. Apple cider vinegar improves the acid present in the stomach. Anyone suffering from acid reflux should consume at least one raw or unfiltered ACV in a glass mixed with water.
- Helps boost nutrient absorption
Another good benefit of acetic acid found in apple cider vinegar is that it supports the absorption of nutrients from the food you eat every day. That is why it is highly recommended that you add apple cider vinegar to your salad dressing. It helps absorb all the minerals and nutrients of all those leafy greens
- Apple cider vinegar is rich in antioxidants
Antioxidants help eliminate free radicals in the body. Apple cider vinegar is rich in antioxidants to keep the body healthy.
- Sinus Congestion
Apple cider vinegar also helps break up the mucus in your body, like for instance, sinus congestion. The anti-bacterial properties are useful to help in eliminating infections. Here is the recommended intake:
- In a glass of warm water, add 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar, and mix thoroughly.
- Wash your hands clean and pour some of the mixtures into your palm.
- Plug one nostril and snort the solution to the other. Repeat to the other side.
- Sore throat
You can also use apple cider vinegar’s anti-bacterial properties to help ease your sore throat. Gargle warm water mixed with apple cider vinegar as needed. You will feel that your sore throat gets a little better after doing this. Repeat the process as often as needed.
- Skin irritations and warts
Apple cider vinegar may help remove warts and other skin irritations by topical applications.
- Soak a cotton ball in apple cider vinegar.
- Apply the vinegar-soaked cotton ball over the wart and cover it.
- It is best to leave it overnight.
For skin irritations
You can soak in a bath with a cup of apple cider vinegar to ease skin irritations caused by bug bites or sunburn.
- Overgrowth of Candida bacteria
Candida is naturally occurring yeast in our body. Usually, consuming too much sugar or processed food results in the body becoming too acidic, which causes the overgrowth of bacteria. This can lead to several health issues like yeast infections.
Since apple cider vinegar is fermented with yeast, it works as a prebiotic that helps in the growth of good bacteria in the body.
Other points to consider:
- Do not just buy any kind of apple cider vinegar you see in groceries. Opt for the organic, raw, and unfiltered apple cider vinegar. You can tell by its cobweb-like appearance, which indicates that it is a high-quality product.
- Daily dosage is good. You can mix 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar into your glass of water. You can also add lemon or honey to add flavor to your healthy drink.
- Make sure you do not have allergies to apple cider vinegar before you incorporate it into your diet.
- Rinse your mouth after taking it and minimize your tooth exposure to acetic acid. That is why it is suggested to dilute it in water.
- You can also use apple cider vinegar around the house for natural cleaning, neutralizing odors, and killing a weed. You can even create your own herbicide formula using apple cider vinegar.
- In some instances, you can also use it for your pets. Consult with your veterinarian before using it to your pets.
Take Home Message
As mentioned, apple cider vinegar benefits and uses are endless. People are discovering more and more ways they can take advantage of apple cider vinegar when they include it in their daily diet as well as the anti-bacterial benefits that can be used in cleaning and disinfecting the household.
In general, people should consume apple cider vinegar to improve health. There is no strong and reliable evidence that it can actually cure or treat cancer, heart diseases, and diabetes alone. It can help with the treatment but it is not a cure by itself.
Also, remember that in almost everything else, moderation is key. Too much of something is bad. If you are too concerned about your health, do not take too much preventive action by overly consuming apple cider vinegar. This could lead to stomach or gastrointestinal problems, esophageal burns, and other digestive problems.
In some cases, too much intake of apple cider vinegar caused throat erosion of tooth enamel because of its acidic property, as well as a reported case of one patient that attributed bone loss and low potassium levels by consuming apple cider vinegar over a long period of time. It can also cause skin burns when applied to the skin.
Apple cider vinegar could also interact with your medications. It is highly recommended that you consult with your doctor if you are experiencing any symptoms of any disease or to make sure that it won’t interfere with your medications. Your doctor can best tell you what you should do, what medications you should take, and endorse other healthy food to include in your diet.
Apple cider vinegar has a lot of benefits that can be good for your health and fitness regimen. But is better to be on the safe side and take it in moderation. Surely, your health will improve and you are one step from contracting harmful and fatal diseases by taking preventive measures.